Posted on

Recycle your shoes

Recycle your running shoes in-store

Don’t just bin your old running shoes – recycle

Bring your old running shoes in-store with you and recycle them. At Advance Performance we’ve been offering a running shoe recycling service for a number of years.

Around 75% of these shoes are in good enough condition to be worn again. The remaining 25% are lower grade shoes which are recycled into a variety of different products.

Drop your old running trainers off in our recycle bin when you’re next in-store.

What happens to your recycled shoes

Every year over 300 million pairs of shoes are thrown out by the public in the UK, with the majority going to landfill. Recycling shoes can make a big difference to the environment.

SOEX UK work with small and large retail companies, and local authorities across the UK to improve recycling and reduce waste.

Recycle your shoes - Shoe recycling bins
SOEX recycling bins

The SOEX Group is the largest clothing and shoe re-wear and recycle company in the world.

All UK and European collections are shipped to SOEX recycling facility in Wolfen, Germany which covers an area of 80,000sq m.

The clothes and shoes are sorted to different grades, higher than anywhere else in the world. The factory exports re-wearable shoes to over 85 countries around the world, with markets in Africa, Eastern Europe, the Middle East and Asia.

The facility in Wolfen, Germany, receives 35,000 pairs – or around 25 tonnes of shoes every day.

Around 75% of these shoes are in good enough condition to be worn again.  The remaining 25% are lower grade shoes which are recycled into a variety of different products, with the factory’s in-house recycling facility.

SOEX have worked with various partners to develop a shoe recycling facility.  This allows us to extract the individual materials (particularly rubber, leather and textiles) from used and unwearable shoes and to reuse it as secondary raw materials.

The dust that is generated in the process is compacted into briquettes and used in the manufacture of paper and concrete. Even the plastic bags the clothes and shoes are collected in are sent for reprocessing.

Providing the public with a convenient method to recycle their unwanted shoes helps to divert them from going to landfill, and using SOEX technologies, brings unwearable shoes back into recycled leather and rubber products.

Recycle your shoes - Materials from recycled shoes